Friday, August 8, 2008

Trash Cans? Lights?

So Sean forward me an email from our landlord (the guy renting out the place to us) and when I read it, I was like... you're kidding right? The house we're living in is divided into 3 apartments. One of each floor and Sean, Ty, and I live on the first floor. So here is what the email from our neighbor on the second floor said to our landlord:

are your sublettors going to stay past august you think? if so, would you mind asking them to help take out/in the trash cans? i tend to be the one who does it the most and it would be nice to spread the wealth!

still no fence in front. i'm going to talk to Geoff and Diana - if something isn't put up by the end of summer, i'm going to buy some black iron traditional fence. i had 2 of my solar path lights stolen last week. i know a fence wouldn't be a complete block, but it would be a deterrent.

Well, here's our side of the story. Let me recall all the Fridays that we've been here and see what our tally is currently at.

July 4 - We didn't contribute to the garbage since it's our first week here.
July 11 - Nada. (Didn't know about the garbage schedule until this week.)
July 18 - Took the cans in.
July 25 - Took the cans in.
August 1 - Nada.
August 8 - Took the cans in.

I would say 3 out of 5 weeks is a pretty good ratio. So she clearly didn't take in the cans most of the month. Besides, we have another neighbor, shouldn't they be helping too? Most days Ty and I aren't around to take the garbage cans in since someone would be home before we are. Passive-aggressive behavior from the neighbors. See, I would have had a garbage rotation set up with my neighbors. I would take every first and third Friday and they would take every second and fourth Friday. Simple.

Ah, the good ol' trash cans.

When I have a place I'm going to make sure that A) I live in a building that has a central trash dump that's taken out by the building personnel or B) I'm the only person living in the house. That way, all this neighborly garbage disputes are never an issue. Passive aggressively or not.

The lights... all I have to say that I predicted that to happen. We live in the middle of city. It's not suburbia as we're used to. You can't leave valuables outside the house and not expect them to vanish the next day. I was surprised they lasted that long. A fence won't really keep anyone out unless it fences in the whole front area and has a gated section. Deterring, yes, keeping anyone determined out, no. The solar lights can be found at Target for $40 for a set of 8. So it's not too expensive, but it's quite unnecessary unless you find yourself stumbling home at 4 am and stubbing your toe on the steps to the house every night.

A photo of the solar light torches from Target.

After graduation, I plan on getting my own place. I might have one roommate, but that's it. It's nice to have a place of your own and you don't have to conform to someone else's needs (like their need to sleep at 11:00 pm everyday and you have to tip toe around for fear of waking up the dragon). That's it for today. A little insight into city living.

No comments: