Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What is slacklining?

In response to Mom McD's question regarding this new hobby of Sean's.

Slacklining is supposedly dated back to the 1980s and started in Yosemite Valley, California by a pair of rock climbers. Sean got into this from his roommates in Boston, Steve and Jared. They had a set up in the Fens and practiced it for about 6 hours. Sean and I joined them, but it takes a lot of work to get to the point where you can balance there on your own.

Sean's co-worker, a fellow NU engineer, Glen had met Steve and Jared while he was in Boston. Sean and Glen then decided to start slacklining in San Fran. Glen's pretty good at it since he was on there for an hour before we arrived to the site. Ty, Sean, and I tried it out. I admit that I'm a bit scared and falling off of it is not exactly my cup of tea.

For more information, I included this Wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slacklining

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Patti, so as I stated in my comment it did take a few years to make it to the East coast (1980's to 2008). Hmmm, not too bad!

Am I the only one reading this blog? Why aren't there other postings?

Well, keep it up just the same because I am really enjoying it.

Thanks! Mom McD